10-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #84
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
I was saying the sunroof clip and roof - 50 lbs. Glass is one of the heaviest items on the car outside of metal and if they are using what I think they are it will be close to that, the use of LEDs vs. Xenons saves 7lbs a corner. There is a lot of weight to be shaved these days. It is not a wash with the CF otherwise they wouldn't do it. The M3 saves 45 lbs compared to one with a steel roof and sunroof and that is using a wet resin, these new baked resins are stronger and lighter.

There is a lot being experimented with and tested- but the cost is what will be the deciding factor. Not many going to spend $50k on a 1er, so it is yet to be seen what will be green lighted.
What's your source for the roof savings?
There's no evidence they save any weight at all with the roof. The M3 gains weight over the 335i.

3650lbs vs 3527lbs according to the website. There's just not that much weight to be taken out of the 135i, at least without stripping it down, and that's not going to happen because it will narrow the market too much. It's unlikely they'll go with smaller wheels, so the weight savings there will be minor. They can't reduce the number of airbags, and the stereo just doesn't weight that much to begin with.

Glass is one of the heaviest items on a car, but you can't very well get rid of it. GM thinned the glass for the Z06 and gained a whopping 7lbs. 50 isn't even remotely realistic. Same goes for the exhaust. You MIGHT save 10-15lbs going to TI, but the converters are still going to be there, as is the muffler.

As I said earlier, I'll be SHOCKED if they manage to drop 150lbs from this car.
Appreciate 0