View Single Post
      09-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #8
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
I have done this. All audio, airbag, and even all the roof wiring can be removed, it will take some coding but you can get rid of most errors in most modules. If you have an auto/DCT it will throw an error for not seeing the seat belt buckles, and the DME will throw an error for not being able to see the explosive battery disconnect.

I removed better than 40lbs of wire from my car...

Al Fe1rx says there are some things that have connections in the harness that you'll need to work around, all the LED lighting is driven from a single NFRM pin, there's three CAN busses that have junctions in the harness, there's the WKUP from the CAS, there are grounds, etc. Every one of these that I had to cut/change I actually cut out the unused wires and then reterminated each junction so there were no snags. Remember, the harness will vibrate so anything pointy or sharp in the harness will eventually short to something.

Yes, you can remove the MOST bus, even if you leave the head unit you can code it off so the HU doesn't look for it.

It is a lot of work to unwrap the whole harness, thin it out, then rewrap it but 40-50lbs is a lot of weight when you've removed everything else.
What do you mean by junction in the harness? For example if I want to remove the airbag module in the center console as well as the wires, I found this in the diagram. It says there are 2 "SIG CAN BUS" wires. Are you saying I would need to keep the harness with those 2 wires connected or am I way off base?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0