MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Its really not -that- big a deal.

Just drive the car and don't go over 5500 rpms and you'll be fine. You want to keep it under 5500 rpms in the beginning as the rings are micro welding the cylinder walls and you want a good consistent seal. Also you have things like cams and bearings which are getting broken in, but they are of secondary concern. Another trick you can do is compression braking. Run the car to 5500 rpms then foot off the gas and let the car reduce speed though compression braking. This is really good for getting a nice tight leak free ring seal. You can do this multiple times in the beginning.

In reality machining tolerances are so tight now and the honing patterns are so much smoother than they used to be that after the first 100 miles or so the rings and cylinder walls are pretty well done getting to know each other.

After that you don't want to rev into the stratosphere though because you've got tons of crap floating around in the oil from all the engine bits smoothing off the rough edges.

Don't be over concerned with all of this. By the mere fact you’re even asking the question puts you leaps and bounds above 99% of all other drivers on the road.
Well... that was my thought as well with this current 3-series.
I didn't abuse it, but I just drove it normally. No big deal, I thought.
Now, 11 years later, it's burning oil at a rate of 1 quart per 500 miles.
I just wanted to try something different... anyone has more wisdom pearls?

BTW, if I recall what I read correctly, it's 4500 rpm. 5500 sounds too high.
Appreciate 0