View Single Post
      12-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I have owned two 1Ms and was one of the original 1M owners.

Here is MY OPINION on why it hasn't sold.

It is being sold as a single owner, cared for 1M at a high price albeit lower than others that were sold by AEG or by the owners themselves in some auctions. It is still a high price for the car that looks like it is, and was not meticulously cared for. Once a car sits at a dealer for weeks, they sit outside where the sun beats and fades the paint and trim. They are test driven by salespeople that rev and drive them hard cold then let their customers rev the motor spooling the turbos to 110K RPM then kill the motor. So by mere fact of being at dealer, you are suspect of the care that was not given to this car.

The car is photographed dirty, with dirty wheels and grease or gunk on the shifter and steering wheel and even the tire pressure warning light further emphasizing that this car is not receiving the care it needs and deserves to ask top dollar collectible money. Looking at the CarFax history continues to reinforce my opinion that this car was not properly cared for. The first oil change shows to be at 2500 miles and only after the original owner got a flat and took it in for that repair. These cars were to get their first break in service at 1200 miles and it included a key differential fluid swap and for early production US cars, the transmission fluid also. The dealer is selling this as a 1 owner car but they are not the 1 owner, they are actually the second owner so we can't ask them for a receipt to show that you did the break-in service at 1200 miles. The differential fluid is not changed until 6500 miles and 3 years later according to carfax and there is no mention of transmission fluid at all in 8 years. Furthermore, it shows only one brake fluid change after 6 years and 7700 miles. It also appears to have almost 9 year old original coolant in the motor. This is bad. Again if you were the "original owner" we could ask for proof that the brake fluid was changed at the most every two years and coolant after the first 4 years, then every two years, but alas we can't.

Finally on a more subjective front ... the car is full loaded with NAV and this doesn't significantly add any more value or appeal. I for one automatically excluded loaded 1Ms like this as I felt that was not the proper way this car should be configured.

After 8 years of owning 1Ms and many Cars and Coffees, I have been approached by countless people that feel like me and have also told me they want a no NAV 1M. Luckily there are many more that love the tech and so few of these cars that they still sell but being loaded in this case is not necessarily that great a thing.

As they say, price overcomes all objections, but if they want to sell the car at this price, it needs to be cleaned up taken and kept indoors and and get the maintenance records from the original owner and mention that in the ad and get new pictures of it indoors, cleaned up with a picture of all the records. Based on the low mileage of the first oil change, my guess is that the original owner did not take great care of it but documentation would help.

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Last edited by nachob; 12-26-2019 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: I thought the OP was the selling dealer...changed to correct that!
Appreciate 3