View Single Post
      12-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #73
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshields View Post
So if my reading comprehension is serving me correctly, the fact that engine has to be unique from anything else in the BMW lineup is more important then the overall performance of the car, and is what defined BMW M, correct? That is why BMW M has "lost its way", correct?

What that basically means is that the engine (and car) is just a status symbol to you.

Id suggest moving onto a car from Modena (even the cars from Stuttgart share engines between models), if that is the case, because this isn't the first M car to use an engine based on a lowly production series car. Do your homework on the S14 in the E30 M3, the 240HP S50 and even the venerable S54 was based on the dare I say it... the M52 that you could also find in the 325i. But the E30 M3 can't be a real M car, it only had a modified cylinder head on top of a 318i engine, BMW M must have clearly lost its way back in the '80s.

I think the drivers among us will appreciate the car's performance once we get it in our hands. For the status hogs, I sincerely don't understand why you would be looking at a 1M, it is a 1-Series afterall.... <extreme sarcasm>
Now I know for sure that your reading comprehension is quite low.

Noboby -at least not me- is asking for a unique and brand new engine here as BMW was very clear since the very first announcement that the main selling point of this car was to be "affordability". You are the one bringing "status" as an argument, which I consider absurd.

The real argument here -again, at least to me- is that not only this has never been done before by the M Division but that they did not have to do it this way at all while keeping the production costs low. I do not know what is the problem in keeping the M Division core values intact while making more money.
Appreciate 0