tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
See comments above in blue text

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Zach
Thank you, Zach!

I didn't have any time Sunday, so began the process in earnest last night. Looks liked I followed your instructions pretty well, even though you hadn't posted them yet.

Started with interior, then engine bay, and wheels. Then some 303 on the top.
Gave 'er a 2-bucket, 2-mitt wash with the Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax, followed by clay bar using their detail spray, and wiping down with the microfiber they provided in the box. Was still wet and smeary, so went over it with Optimum Spray Wax and a new, dry microfiber.
I followed that up with cleaning glass, and treating plastic and rubber. Lights don't require restoration - I just hit 'em with window cleaner once I finish the windows.
It looks sharp, but not nearly as deep and glossy as I know it should. I can also see spider webbing and water spots which have been there since I bought it.

I don't expect to do this too often, but want to do it right when I do, so picked up the Harbor Freight variable-speed random-orbit 6" polisher. Ordered 2 each 6.5" Lake Country orange, white and black pads - along with cleaner and a brush - which just came in last night.

I didn't get the little pads. I was planning to use terry wax applicators and microfiber towels for the places the 6.5" don't do well. If I put much more into equipment I may as well have brought it to a professional. Foolish decision?

On your advice, perhaps I'll forgo the glaze this time. I used it once before, and it did perhaps enhance the gloss under the wax, but didn't do a thing for the finish.

Got the message re: Dishsoap. I've read that cutting and sealing work better on a surface free of previous layers of wax. Any benefit to wiping down with denatured alcohol before either of those steps?

Is there a product you recommend for conditioning/protecting BMW canvas convertible tops? I used 303 to clean it, but the only protectants I've seen are for vinyl.

I got a lot more done in one night than I expected, but see there's still quite a job ahead of me. Luckily I don't need to cut/polish/wax the roof, so that saves quite a bit of time. Should have an old twin fitted sheet I can cover the top and windows with after doing the header.

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 06-27-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0