Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Cost are relative to average incomes.
We were still paying more than the US when our average income was lower and our dollar was worse. This would suggest that this is being used more as an excuse to inflate prices than a real world cause.

Quote:
But that is attributable to a number of factors; population size (number of potential buyers), the fact that Aus is out in the Pacific and transport costs could be a lot higher, as well as the cost of getting replacement/repair parts, etc...
I can understand the "Australia is a small remote market" attitude but when you try to tell me that it costs an extra $100,000 to supply a 911 to an Aussie buyer I'm going to call "bullshit"...

Quote:
From the avg/median income numbers I've seen, when described in US dollars, the income number is about the same.
It's just that the number given in US vs Aus numbers is different.
So, in Aus the avg could be about $60k in Aus dollars, and $40k in US dollars.
Avg US incomes about $40k in US dollars and $60k in Aus dollars.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. With our dollars so close at the moment the numerical difference based on which currency is used as a measure would be negligible. I may have misunderstood your point though.

Quote:
Prices of products will reflect that numerical difference as well.
So if a US citizen were to take $40K in US dollars to Aus, they would be able to buy $60k worth of product in Aus dollars.
This kind of thinking was understandable several ago when the US dollar was stronger but now that the Australian dollar is worth more than the USD it gets a little difficult to swallow.

In actuality, if an American was to bring $60,000 USD to Australia they would be able to purchase much less "product" than they could in the US. The Australian Dollar is stronger so you would have less that $60,000 AUD and Goods and Services are priced higher here so you would be getting less value for your money.

I am also aware that it takes quite some time (sometimes years) for domestic pricing on imported goods to adjust for differences in international monetary values.

At the end of the day we are being gouged and there is nothing we can do about it. Our government certainly doesn't seem to care - in fact they just take advantage of it by adding more/ridiculous taxes on top of already overinflated import prices.

I still wouldn't choose to live anywhere else though

- Harlequin