View Single Post
      04-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #199
tommay248
1N'dONE
Rep
Drives: N54 135i / VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
235/40/18 street tires are generally a direct fitment for the front of a stock car, and are a great improvement in width and grip over the stock 215/40/18 front tire size. Not all 235/40/18 tires will fit. R-compounds, slicks and some other tires may touch the strut tube, requiring a spacer to fit. This fitment is tight on both the strut tube side and on the fender side, so there is little room to play with on a stock car. If a 3-5mm spacer is used to clear the strut tube with some tires, then it would be ideal to dial in some negative camber into the front suspension to help clear the fender. The 235/40/18 tires are tall and could potentially rub the plastic inner fender liner if it is out of alignment. Plastic liner rubbing is usually considered acceptable by most owners, but it is something to look out for as the gills in the liner for the oil cooler can some times stick out towards the tire more than normal.

Since the R888 is an R-compound tire, they run much wider than a street tire so they may cause rubbing on your fenders. Because of this, you may have to downsize the tire size. Most people run staggered setups on the 135i, but there have been race cars that do switch over to a squared setup so that they have a more neutral steering feel, and the ability to rotate tires.
Thank you for the great input. I have a couple of track days coming up and the EC-7's are my favorite. I'm leaning toards the square set up.
Appreciate 0