03-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post

If I've ruffled anyone's feathers with my opinions, please note that they are only *my* opinions and I only apply them to myself. I fully understand why people prefer the 135i and I'm sure there are people who love their F30s -- If I wanted a 135i or a new 335i, I'd get one, but I really admire the relative old school simplicity of the E82 and I want to get one before they're no longer available. Basically, I know my tastes and I'm finally building a car that matches them closely without going overboard.
Oh I can tell we are going to get along well with all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Well, my dream config would be the 128i with the 255HP N52 variant from the Z4. I simply adored that engine -- smooth, tractable and linear with a lovely metallic wail. The 230HP N52 isn't far behind in terms of power and it shares the same basic characteristics, so I'm excited about that.

If, over time, I feel the urge to add a little more power, I'll look at the basic options (chip and intake), but I don't think it will be necessary. I still prefer the feel of an NA engine even though it's obviously less powerful and offers fewer tuning options.
You can install the factory OE DISA intake off the 330i/X3 3.0/X5 3.0/whatever and Evolve software for ~$1200 total and be around 280hp, or 50 up over stock and exceeding your goal with factory parts.