United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bEchev25 View Post
Hey everyone,

I took my 135i after hearing a sound from what seemed to be the belt. After checking up with the dealership, they gave me an estimate that was high! Any idea of what can be done to get a cheaper alternative?

I'm based in NYC if that matters
What sound we're you hearing? Was it a chirping sound? If so it's most likely oil on the belt due to a leaking OFHG (Oil Filter Housing Gasket). You'll want to replace the OFHG, belt, belt tensioner & pulley at the same time. You can find an Indy shop to do it for less than the dealer. Or follow a DIY. Replacing just the belt is not recommended if you have a OFHG leak b/c oil will get on the new belt and you'll have to replace it again when you fix the leaky gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibb001 View Post
Yes serpentine belt. What happens is the oil from the oil filter housing leaks and gets on the belt and degrades it causing it to snap. You should change the belt before you even get back on the road. Those gaskets need to be replaced as soon as possible but you can still drive with those leaking.

Also lookup "loose power steering pump bolt" around here on the forums. That can also cause your belt to come off. Make sure those are tight. None of these things require you to go under the car, so you should be able to do fairly easily being in NYC.

Hopes this helps.
Is the loose bolt on N54 & N55? Or just a pre-LCI N54 thing?