07-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Very much doubt that the holes have a significant cooling effect - that's not the direction of the airflow. The holes help in other areas - immediate elimination of water film in the rain and pad glazing prevention. Oh and looks.

The reasons for the soft feel after hard track use are others:
- completely inadequate brake pad material
- marginally insufficient heat transfer capacity (this could be a combination of insufficient cooling flow and/or system sizing)

Someone mentioned Endless pads - any aftermarket pads you put on will work well on some tracks and not so well on others (due to the second reason above). Nurburgring is not as hard on brakes as some of the other, shorter tracks (not sure if this is an issue with US-designed tracks or if it's true in Europe as well). So throwing $800 or $1000 or however much they cost on a set of pads that may or may not give you satisfaction is a risk.

What it actually takes is for the manufacturer to design the brakes and size them appropriately for track use given the mass & speed of the car. Porsche does this in many of their models. Then it truly becomes a case of swapping for track pads and not having the slightest worry.
Nurburgring not hard on the brakes? Your car must have not been broken in when you did your laps? If you want to do back to back laps and you have to haul 3700lb car down from 150Mph on a couple occassions and from 100Mph triple digit speeds multiple times and you do more than 2 laps oh yah it's hard on the brakes the track is 12 miles long. and if you plan on attacking the track it's very hard on the brakes. I mentioned pagid and endless pads because they are rotor friendly and last a very long time. Sure there are better pads out there for less money but when you consider are you racing for money no. So why spend the extra dough on rotors when Pagid or endless work very good on our factory rotors and increase the braking performance by 50% compared to stock pads and won't melt or delaminate. Just my opinion. I also do multiple track sessions at SPA and Nurburgring GP track and the Pagids RS 19 hold up quite well my friend has endless in his coupe and they last quite a bit longer than the pagids and supply equal stopping power.
Appreciate 0