View Single Post
      10-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Pelicanglider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible

The "Fix"

For this repair, I followed the procedure I read on the site that also used the 3M Windo-Weld system. Here you can see the bottom half of the seam has completely let go. The symptom was a rattling rear window over the course of a few months. The seam letting go was something I never considered as the problem until I got out of the car and saw the gap between the top and the window. I'm way out of warranty and I didn't want to pay for a new top and installation, so I made this repair. It is not perfection. It is functional.

Here are the tools and products I used. I purchased the Windo-Weld online from Auto Body Toolmart. Great service. Note Windo-Weld is considered flammable, so it cannot be over-nighted. I ordered it Tuesday night and expected it on Thursday, but Auto Body Toolmart called me to let me know they couldn't ship it by air, but still got it to me Saturday morning in plenty of time to get the job done the same day.
1. 3M Windo-Weld
2. 3M Windo-Weld primer 30oz.
3. razor scraper
4. latex gloves
5. clear packing tape
6. disposable paint brushes
7. masking tape
8. caulking gun

I propped up the top in the front and rear with a clever system of rolled towels, pillows and books.

I masked off the perimeter of the area that was going to get the primer and the Window-Weld.

I positioned the window and ran a bead of Wind-Weld in the areas that had separated. I didn't take the window out completely because the top of the window was still holding very well and I didn't want to mess it up even more than it was.

I taped the top down onto the window with the packing tape and tried to put as much pressure on the seam as possible.

I let everything set overnight and after 24 hours time I removed the packing tape. I trimmed the excess that a squished out of the seam and ran another bead of Windo-Weld to fill in the voids. I am impressed with the strength of the bond and feel confident the repair will last. How long it will last, time will tell. But for now the window is in position and it doesn't leak (or rattle). I don't want to pay for a new top until I have to, and I'm hoping that won't be next week. As long as the "ten foot rule" is applied, it doesn't look too bad.