View Single Post
      01-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #46
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

On Tuesday I fixed my exhaust leak.

Long story short, the aftermarket downpipes were the cause of the bad exhaust fitment.

The Agency Power downpipes were installed by the previous owner. The bolts were 10mm and fit into a 10mm hole. The stock downpipes have an 8mm stud going into a 10mm hole. This means the stock downpipes allow quite a lot of movement to allow oyu to rotate and fit your exhaust easily. The aftermarket ones came with bolts that were too tight fitting so the threads kept on gewtting caught on the edges of the holes, ruining the threads. I went to Masters and bought some grade 10.9 M8x35mm nuts bolts and washers and refitted.

The gaskets that came with the Agency Power downpipes were ruined on the re installation but I still have the stock downpipe gaskets which look much thicker and better quality. I reused with no issues. I have a pair of brand new gaskets but did not want to use as I plan on removing the exhaust again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Can you please take a pic side on of the flywheel when you get a chance so I can visualise how to grip the flywheel in a chuck?
Attached are some quick pics of the flywheel. If you need measurements I'll get them when I get home tonight. I need to lever off the pressure plate as I couldn't get it off by hand this morning.

Will need a pretty big lathe to be able to machine it. I'd say you would probably need to machine some chuck jaws with a custom relief to clear the flywheel ring gear. Not that hard. Probably would be best held in a 4 or a 6 jaw chuck given that you can only chuck onto the front part of the flywheel (the part where my ruler is sitting on).
Attached Images