View Single Post
      01-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #59
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

You're right on alot of points.

Also, after I mentioned that the E46 had similar motion ratios, I went to verify and realized "oh shit", they're not as similar as I thought. Foot in mouth on that one.

At any rate, I understand theory says X and I was all about targeting a wheel frequency, springing it accordingly and calling it a day. But then after searching around, the theory isn't applied verbatim which leaves me scratching my head. I'm versed enough in suspensions to not try something willy nilly (hence the move to go with an incremental approach with a stiffer rear spring) but not well versed enough to discount 'common knowledge' (whether right or wrong) and just do my own thing. Definitely want to get to the latter where I can comfortably do my own thing regardless of what others say.

Some things the wheel frequency calculations do not account for (or just assume) are chassis flex, give in the subframe/suspension bushings etc (which fe1rx touches on). The calculations assume the suspension is acting on a fully rigid chassis... which is not the case in any street car and to be honest may not be the case in my caged racecar either. For instance, my cage doesn't tie in to any part of the front suspension (or near it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
An even better place to compare suspension tuning would be the FRS/BRZ forums. They are way more active than here and they too use a mcpherson strut with a multi-link rear. The aftermarket over there seems to be giving them front biased springs as well despite the logic saying you should run a higher rear spring rate. Many are reluctant to move to aftermarket suspensions out of fear of ruining the stock cars excellent balance (131/211 springs from factory supposedly).

If coilover manufacturers add in massive understeer to keep people from crashing their cars than that's one thing. I am looking for a neutral setup, for an already well balanced car, and that makes no sense to me regardless of what other people are doing.
Yeah. Will definitely scour the FRS/BRZ forums to see what's up. Thanks for the other links btw!

Last edited by xBlueStreakx; 01-06-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0