View Single Post
      06-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

We may all be driving turbos in a few years. The ability to make max torque at low rpm coupled with an automatic transmission that keeps rpm low will improve gas mileage and may be the only way to achieve the future targets. They won't be 3l turbos, however. Little motors on lots of boost. 2L may seem big in a few years.

But today I can still have my NA motor. I prefer to have power build gradually and peak near redline. I like that pattern. I also prefer a manual transmission in a sporty car (I even have a manual in my SUV). So while I still can, I prefer to drive NA. I might put a manifold on some day and may even headers and a tune. But even if I stay stock, I have enough power to have fun.

So to those with turbos I will admit you are driving the style of motor I will probably be forced into in a few years but for now you can have it, I'll stay NA. I understand you can make more power and your car will be faster. But it will also drop in power near redline. I like the loads of torque down low but overall I prefer the NA. Your choice is not diminished by the fact it isn't my choice.