View Single Post
      11-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
barritt
Rep
Drives: 135i

iDrive updates require combox?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum as I just purchased a 2009 135i. After purchasing the car I I went through the iDrive system and noticed the maps are out of date. Upon further inspection and searching on the forum I confirmed I do have the CIC iDrive system but without a combox. Additionally I do not have a menu setting to update the iDrive firmware, or the maps through USB.

With more searching I found that it looked like the only way to update this firmware version of the iDrive was through the OBD2 port using ISTA/P and that requires some special cables and a power supply to maintain the appropriate voltage. Since I didn't have those things, I thought it might be easier to go to the dealer and get the update done. So, I went to the dealer asking for the software on my car to be updated (specifically iDrive) and 5 hours later my iDrive appears to be the same. When I noticed this before leaving I asked them if this was the latest update for my car, and they said the only way to update it further is to change out the hardware on the car.

So a note first, my ultimate goal is to do a combox retrofit, which I thought I would need the iDrive upgraded first to work properly. So a couple of questions:

1. Did I ask for the wrong thing at the dealership?
2. Will a combox retrofit work without updating the iDrive version?
3. Is a combox required to be able to do the updates through USB?
4. Did you get through all of this post? If so, thanks!

Other random information:
1. The car does have a USB port in the center console and the glove box if that makes any difference.
2. I have done coding before on an E46, so I have NCSExpert, INPA and associated cables if anyone needs me to pull info from the car.
3. In the navigation menu on the iDrive it says it's version 1.2.8 and Road Map North America PREMIUM 2009-1.

Thanks again for any help.
Appreciate 0