10-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #54
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
my mistake. I mis-read the dates on the posts thinking this was new. I just re-read the thread and realized I laid all this out in much more detail.

but again, tuning for "flat-ride" doesn't mean the car has to be "neutral." you can still throw a big bar on the car and make it crazy understeer oriented. But, the car will handle curbs and track imperfections much better without the pitch moment being out of phase f:r. Aftermarket sways don't bind in pitch/dive and so long as end-links are adjusted correctly the springs will be controlling those moments (acceleration/braking/bumps).

Most importantly to note with these threads is that most of these discussions about spring rates on an E82/E9x pop up within the context of understeer behavior and people running big front bars AND massively stiffer front springs like an E46 spring rate setup. Lots of people run 400/600 or 450/700 etc with upgraded front sways. Worked great on an E46 but again to get the same handling car in an E82 you would need to bump the rear rate up to 900+. Then new people come in like above and ask why people are removing their front sways /facepalm. No one ever said to run an E82 without a front sway. I feel partly responsible for this since I recommended it to people who didn't believe their understeer was due to their own setup... Pulled front sway and saw how much better the front end hooked up... only ever recommended it because it takes all of 15 minutes to pull the endlinks and see how the handling changes.
No problem.

I understand that a flat-ride car doesn't need to be neutral by association. The same way a front-biased setup doesn't have to be understeer biased. My quite heavily 'front-biased' suspension on my E92 rides curbs better then anything I've ever driven on track - but that could largely be due to the excellent damping a of high-quality race shock.

At the end of the day there's more then 1 way to approach suspension setup for track/race use. There are countless examples of front-biased setups from professional and factory race teams, they make it work and work well. There are also examples (much less, but growing in number) of flat-ride approaches that seems to also work very well and have good results.

Just like there is more then 1 way to drive a car fast, there is more then 1 way to setup a car to be fast.
Appreciate 0