05-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #323
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I will have to try this again next weekend because I couldn't get the filler plug off with the small tool I was using. I will use the breaker bar method.

I don't feel comfortable getting the car on jackstands, because I don't have the right ones to hold the car in the air.

I will run a hose from the top of the engine into the transmission filler hole instead.
The "plugs" are very tight from the factory. A breaker bar will be needed. But when you re-tighten the plugs/screws... you don't need to use so much force/torque.

Also... I know this sounds dumb... but double check to make sure you are turning your wrench/breaker bar the correct way to loosen the plugs. A lot of people get messed up when they work upside down under a car - trying to remove a fastener. Lefty, loosy, righty tighty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
My transmission was starting to feel notchy again after the fluid change. So I jacked it up again. There were no signs of leaks. Opened the fill plug and nothing overflowed out. So I pumped in more fluid and ended up putting around 0.4 qts, bringing the total to 1.9 qts. This time when I removed the fill tube, there was a small stream of overflow, but I just put the fill plug in as fast as I could. Went for a drive and it was shifting smoothly again.

I guess there are some nooks and crannies inside that don't get filled up until you drive, so be aware that you may have to recheck the level and top up.

It's always a good idea to re-check one's work.

Dackel
Appreciate 2