View Single Post
      02-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I did not want to put this in AW128i's nice thread about his new BMW Pro installation (radio threads, not DIY) but I see some advantages to this setup versus use of the BMW system. If you want a nuvi 3790, the price of the BMW system may actually not be that bad. It looks like they are about $400 so the BMW is not much different. I like to play MP3s out of my nuvi's, however, and the 3790 does not have that capability. Nothing newer than the 765t and 885t do. The only significant advantage to the 3790 versus the 885t is the 3790 is supposed to learn your routes and the traffic patterns on those routes. That would be nice but isn't enough reason for me to spend the money.

With my setup, if I am listening to music (MP3s) from the nuvi and I get a phone call, the audio for the music is automatically muted for the call. With the BMW installation, it seems the drivers side speakers switch to the call while the rest of the speakers still continue to play music. Navigation for my case interrupts the music for a few seconds and then switches itself back. BMW mutes drivers side speakers, gives instruction over those while music playing on other speakers, and then restores the drivers side to the previous setting. I might like this if I tried it but I don't think I would. It seems like the music would bleed onto the phone call or distract from the navigation instructions.

A key advantage of my setup is price. I got my 760 for about $200 and you can still do this on the newer and better 765t. Add about $50 for the bracket from BMW and you can be in business. I currently use a 885t I got rebuilt for a little over $200 but I don't see them at that price currently.

A disadvantage of my setup is how you have to do things if you get a call when listening to the radio. You know it because the display of the nuvi tells you but you have to switch to the aux input to the radio to get the sound out of the car speakers. That is two quick taps of the button on the wheel but you don't have to do this with the BMW system.

I also think the BMW installation looks better. The wires are nearly hidden the way BMW does it and still quite visible on mine. I think mine is OK but I like this aspect of the BMW better.

Overall, I appreciate AW128i's explanation of the BMW system but I think I'll stay with what I have.

Jim