02-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Some OEM diffs have a magnet glued to the bottom of the case or diff cover. Does BMW not do this?
I doubt they do. When I was using a flexible hose to suck out all the old fluid in my diff(thru the fill hole/plug) I did not feel anything with said "hose".

I know BMW does use magnets in their automatic transmission pans/sumps. They put a magnet in each corning of the pan. And when I changed my tranny fluid on my e39... there was A LOT of metallic particles(fur) on those magnets! I cleaned them off and put them back in position.

I think for the engine oil sump... these magnetic drain plugs make so much sense! You won't believe on how much metallic crap is floating around in your oil!! Even with me changing my oil(and filter) like FIVE times by the time my engine had 15K miles on it(!), I still was shocked on how much metal the UUC magnet picked up.

The new magnets from dimple(drainplugmagnets.com) has an even stronger magnetic field and they look to be better made. I would really recommend them.

Dack
Appreciate 0