View Single Post
      09-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #70
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Kgolf31,

Huh? The first reference, even by your quote recommends cold pressures higher than BMW recommends, including the 40 psi I plan (although that is close or at the top of the range). The second reference contains the phrase " When driving on a racetrack you should run a higher tire pressure than you would normally run on the street. " I'm not sure what car you are referring to but for a 1 series, the pressures you are talking about are also a little higher than the sticker in my car so maybe you agree. The third reference does talk about starting below stock tire pressure when testing tires with a temperature probe. But I don't see anything that pretends to know where you will end up. Your pick of quote for the last reference is OK but deceptive since he also says the best front tire pressure for his tires and car was 38-40. Doesn't mean a lot about what is best for PSSs.

So you try and pick a few words from each reference that supports your position? Or say tire rack does when they clearly don't? And you seem to run above stock pressures but argue it can't be the OP's issue if he ran stock pressure and damaged his tires? Huh?

Do you think everybody is stupid or what? The simple fact is that the OP may or may not have run the wrong tire pressure for his tire and car but the fact that the tires were damaged is plenty of reason to try something different. The range of suggested pressures do go down to stock or a little below but also go much above stock pressures.

The other obvious fact is that Michelin PSS tires are great tires. Use Google a little and you can find tests on great cars on a race track with great results. You can run whatever you want but PSS tires are plenty suitable for track use. I am going to take the OP's results as an indication they like more pressure than some. With a soft sidewall, that would also be my first guess. But I will test and let that and the feel of the car tell me where to go from there.