View Single Post
      09-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #73
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Kgolf31,

I don't know how anybody would think that the sticker in your car refers to anything other than cold pressures. I also don't see how any reasonable person would see a reference to running higher pressures as referring to the heat up during track use. I think it is much more reasonable to look at these references as relating to higher cold pressure.

I will also remind you that I've already done this with positive results. I tested to see what pressure kept me off the sidewalls and ran that pressure (40psi cold). My times were pretty good for run flats. I can't see why running the same pressure on Michelins with their softer sidewall is a bad starting point. The articles put that pressure within the suggested range and my experience does the same. You want to read references to pressure in this range as referring to hot pressure. I am most certainly not talking about hot pressure. I doubt the articles are either unless that is specifically what they say.

I don't know why Michelins are not used by autocrossers but the PSS is a relatively new tire. I will remind you again that there were a lot of one lap cars with Michelins - I saw the sidewalls - and it is reasonable to think they were PSS. The duty in the one lap of America is more than at an autocross.

Jim