View Single Post
      09-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #75
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

As Kgolf31 mentioned earlier, I think there is so much confusion with regarding the PSS because most of the "glowing" reviews about them are from people coming from non-performance tires or the stock run flats. Of course you're going to be blown away by its performance if you've never driven on anything in the same category that produces as much grip before.

Some people have success with them but Im willing to bet just about anything that the people who are thrilled with their performance on track and have never had a problem are newer/less experienced or simply aren't going very fast or pushing the car very hard (not aimed at anyone on this thread. It is just my personal belief.)

Jim- If you're happy with the PSS and you're pressure settings then more power to you! BUT it doesn't mean that it is the most correct thing to do. Have you tried lowering pressures down to the mid to high 30s HOT? If you need 40psi cold (close to 50 hot) to keep the tire off the sidewalls then you need more camber not more pressure. I don't care what tire is... If you're running hot pressures in the high 40s or low 50s you're choking the performance of the tire big time.

The PSS aren't used by (experienced) auto crossers or track day guys because they know better. As others have mentioned they are not meant for heavy competition. They will overheat very quickly which will lead to chunking if you keep pushing once its been overheated. They would make a descent track tire for rainy days though.

Yes, the PSS was used in tire rack's one lap but that doesn't mean anything. Most of the cars in the one lap (R35 GT-R for example) use tire sizes that most extreme performance summer tires don't offer. Additionally they are shorter "sprint" type events which don't put as much heat into the tires as say a 20 or 30 minute track session. Yes, they come standard on the M6 and a few other cars but that is also irrelevant. The PS2 suffered from the same things the PSS does and it came standard on those cars before the PSS was available. They are comfortable street tires that have pretty good cold grip and excellent wet grip and that is all.

Last edited by MMisencik157; 09-04-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0