View Single Post
      09-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #83
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

SCCA SCCA Solo Drivers that run street tires run Continental DWS Tires in the Wet. Does that mean they are good all-around tires for racing? No. They can channel water. Look at the tread on RS3s or ZIIs and you'll realize this quick. RS3s are not known for good wet weather. They SUCK. The fact that they do indeed suck, and cannot change tires, would make you think they need a more all-performing tire. This will make sense.

You also fail to see that you can get sponsorships to supply tires. Who knows if all of them who are supplied Hankook, Dunlop....etc aren't sponsored and supplied for free?

It appears, from the results, is that these are time attack events. Which means you are not pushing for 30 minutes. You set a hot lap, cool tires for a lap, and run another hot lap. I wouldn't call this the same abuse as a HPDE.

Highways is nothing, and shouldn't be accounted for. I've driven close to 10k on my RS3s, so what does that tell you? Nothing.

If we can look at exactly how long these tires are driven on during track we can further investigate. I have a feeling these are TT runs. As well, with full prep cars versus cars with no understeer, there can be easily more wear already.
Appreciate 1