View Single Post
      09-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #88
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Bimmer Bob, Bimmer Don, HeelToe and Kgolf,

Thanks. I think I better start lower on pressure and see where I need to go with my PSS tires.

With respect to Kgolf's question on how they run the One lap events, I only witnessed the BMW Performance Center. I've driven this course several times with cones set out to keep our speed down to about 70mph max in an autocross. I've also driven it at a 2 day M-school with a lot less cones and our maximum speed was about 100 mph (in the big sweeping turn). These guys were running the entire course so I would guess they were getting a little over 100 mph in spots (it is pretty tight). Maybe 110 or a little higher. We did not stay for the whole thing but I am pretty sure each car was running about 5 timed laps. I don't remember any warmups. That would be less than 10 minutes hard running. Tracks like VIR would be higher speed, I believe, but my guess is they run only a limited number of laps like this because they have about 40 cars to get through each track session. The cars come in from traveling from the last event, dump all the extra stuff from their car, and wait for their turn to race. Seems pretty grueling. Wife and I may do it, however. The entry fee is low and it seems like it would be a good way to run a bunch of tracks. There aren't a lot of rules but one hard and fast one is to run the same set of tires for the entire event. There was anything from a supercharged Mercedes AMG gull wing to a stock Camry with a 4 cylinder. The turbo-charged Honda mini-van was surprisingly fast. Nissan GTRs win and take a lot of the top spots but this year a Viper was 3rd.

Jim