View Single Post
      04-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #213
1KRNRRNG1
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Thanks. If I were to do it again with a spring/damper setup I'd probably use the same parts. I find it amazing how little space I was left with under the front fenders by upsizing the front tires again, but it really illustrates how little room we have up there. The ride and handling are exactly what I wanted. Turn in is sharp and I can actually feel the road now. There is hardly any body roll whatsoever even without a bigger front sway bar and the rear end grips about as evenly as it can without a proper limited slip diff. I get no axle tramp and very little squat. Oh and NO RUBBING (a requirement of mine, along with no drone from my exhaust).

The ride is compliant over bumps at mid/high speed. At low speed (40 and under) you'll feel them, but it's not spine shattering or kidney powdering by any means. Also, it's firm enough that where the road goes, you go. What I mean by this is that if the road bumps up and then dips, so do you. If it repeatedly undulates, so do you. A lot of the harshness that would go along with that does get soaked up but the car still moves with the road, there is ZERO floatiness. I will add that this typically isn't a problem and actually works in your favor for flat cornering and transfers. My wife loves the change, and she's super picky about being comfortable.

Thanks bud! Need some more pics of your car, been a while!
This is an amazing build thread, I am amazed you were able to keep all this information and pictures catalogued and retained. The information on the brakes and F8x uprights is important information to keep in mind for sure.

I am at a crossroads with my suspension. (I was during the test drive!) The previous owner installed Swift Spec-R with Koni Orange (they are not to be used on lowering springs.) Ohlins R&T are my being the Halo setup for street/spirited driving and the occasional lapping day, but I have really enjoyed Bilstein "Sport" aka:B8 dampers in the past, they just seem to work with no drama. For once in my life, jury is out on this one, I would like to stick to a "cup kit" in favour of simplicity and tire clearance. I see that you were using the Swift Linear Springs for coilers in a mixed set, with the B6 in the rear and the TC dampers, I was wondering if you had insight into doing a cup kit setup with the Swift Linear and B6/B8 dampers and/or who I could reach out to with this knowledge to provide the brains and parts? In an ideal world it would be a .5" to .75 from stock ride height on. Swift Linear springs, with a B6 or B8 damper at all 4 corners.
(There does not seem to be any hard data from Bilstein, Turner or anyone else that indicates where the B6 stroke vs B8 stroke -ride height- window's are optimally set.)
TIA for pointing me in the right direction. *Sorry

Last edited by 1KRNRRNG1; 04-04-2021 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0