10-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #28
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechE View Post
I was fortunate enough to be able to buy both the 1M and GT4 as new cars. I still have the 1M, but I only kept the GT4 two years.

By most performance standards the GT4 is the superior car. Its steering, brakes, handling, and shift lever action are in a different league compared to the 1M’s. That said, the GT4’s engine feels “strangled” and lacks emotion compared to the same engine in a C2S, and the GT4’s 1st and 2nd gears are FAR TOO STEEP for the street. Unfortunately, 1st and 2nd are integrated into a single shaft and cannot be easily changed. As such, I simply found the GT4 to be a boring street car unless I was driving it at speeds well beyond the posted limit.

I tell people the 1M has the personality of a “puppy dog on a hard wood floor”. It’s not the most graceful or linear car, but it’s always ready to play and is a lot of fun every day in the real world. It’s also very practical with decent trunk space and a back seat.

If you frequently go to the track, the GT4 is unquestionably the better choice, but I would much rather drive the 1M on the street. Overall, I liked the GT4, but I love the 1M.
well said thanks for sharing. Have talked to many owners who have done the same bought great other cars and sold them and kept the 1M.

My favourite was someone who had an E46 M3 CSL and then bought a 1M and then decided the 1M was the one to keep and ditched the CSL.

the 1M is second to nobody in terms of modern cars....