02-24-2016, 11:49 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokejka View Post
Looks like I will be changing my clutch and flywheel in the driveway. I can't find a lift. I refuse to let anyone else do it for me, let alone $$$ when I am very capable of doing a lot myself.

I don't foresee the need for any special tools?

Beside getting the car as high as possible. Any advice?
Big job, I did it with a friend. 550i clutch with new LUK dual mass. It was a tough job but it was a great experience and I am proud of the work we did. I wouldn't trust a shop to do everything properly.

I did it on jack stands, was around a 12 hour job:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1191143

Get a friend, this will be a real nightmare without a 2nd pair of hands. Getting to the transmission bolts you need 1 person holding the wrench and one person guiding the socket to the head. You need a load of 1/2 wobbly extensions. Once we got the transmission to the floor, there was no way of sliding it out from under the car without scratching it up. So we rolled the transmission out from under the car

The big transmission bell housing bolts are E18. My E18 socket was too thick walled and I ended up having to machine down my socket on a lathe. Just make sure the socket you are using isn't too thick, otherwise you are stranded.

Make a flywheel lock tool, you have no chance of torquing anything down without it. I ground mine out of steel which was a bit overkill. I could have just cut a steel box section and drilled a hole for a bell housing bolt and that would have worked fine. Also make sure you have a clutch alignment tool

Its hard to get the car high on jack stands. I had a transmission jack adapter but it was crap. Ended up just using my low profile floor jack and a block of wood to lift the transmission. back into the car.

You need a flex head ratchet to get the top bolts off. Make sure you use all your strength in keeping the socket on the bolt head square. Otherwise you risk stripping the etorx heads. Once broken free, mine came out easily enough by spinning them out with my fingers.

Be prepared for stripped exhaust bolts. I had to clean up the axleback bolts with a tap and die cos they were so soft and I didn't have new ones. Get new exhaust gaskets

Remove the shifter boot and knob and remove from the car. This will allow you to completely remove the shifter linkage which sits above the transmission. This gives you much more room to wiggle the transmission free.

If your gear shifter is a little sloppy, replace the bushings as it will be super easy to swap them out. Kind of regret not upgrading them now.

Good tools will make your life easier. Make sure you have a full etorx set. Electric ratchet will make things easier. I have an impact but was really only useful for the T60 flywheel bolts and propshaft bolts.

Any other questions i'd be happy to answer for a fellow diyer. Your arms will be all scraped up, your face will have crud on it but it will all be worth it.