View Single Post
      02-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Past: 135i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
My jack stands went up around the same height. I used the stands on the flat part of the front subframe with thick blocks of wood to give me another 1.5 inch or so extra. Theres a fair bit of room compared to just using ramps. I got the car high enough so I could actually sit on the floor and assemble the clutch and pressure plate with my head and soulders in teh transmission tunnel. Very comfortable and theres all the sound insulation padding so its all soft and nice hahaha.

The lock tool prevents the engine from rotating when you are torquing down the bolts. You must use a torque wrench. I replaced the flywheel and the 8 bolts require 120Nm for tightening. Pressure plate needs torque + 90 degree angle so the bolts are stretched. Make sure you use new pressure plate bolts.

What are you using for a flywheel? Are you going single mass? Reusing the old flywheel or new dual mass?

I shaved my E18 socket to 20.25mm outside diameter. If you used a 3/8 E18 instead of a 1/2" E18 it'll probably be the right diameter. The socket has to be small enough to clear the bell housing. Otherwise you can mount the socket on a battery drill and use a grinder on it until its the right diameter if you don't have a lathe Nothing else needs to be thin walled.

Milwaukee 2457 electric ratchet is what I have. Best tool ever! It's torquey and the trigger mechanism has very fine control, you can really control the torque finely by slowing it down.

Make sure you get 5x new steel bell housing bolts. You cannot reuse the Aluminium ones as they are stretched permanently. The E18 Aluminium bolts are replaced with E16 bolts so that makes things a bit easier when reassembling.
So on the bright side I have some time to get new bolts because I didn't have those ready? where did you get yours?

I will measure out my E18 and see how it compares in size.

I got a single mass steel flywheel from factory.

On the not so bright side I was setting everything up today for the install and laid out the flywheel and clutch/disk and noticed what they sent me....

I have read too many negative things about spec and against all of it I decided to go with them and of course they send me the wrong disk.

So this is going to be quite a bit of a setback. I'm considering getting the Motiv twin disk. I have read only good things once their latest revisions. I will never max that clutch out. I like the idea of not having to worry about it possibly ever.

This is a straight race disk...
Appreciate 0