01-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z-135i View Post
1. Don't even bring up buying a car from carmax as I have a fantastic story that would deter others from carmax or at least trust them as much as any old guy on the street (I would trust a stranger more probably). Regardless, you all know that finding this car black on black MT un-modded is extremely difficult and not cheap. There were only a few available within a thousand miles and this was the only one that met the criteria. It was a commuter car and mechanically very sound. I learned a ton about buying cars this time around.
I came across a bit gruff in my previous post. I apologize. I'll PM you about the CarMax thing but my history with them isn't the greatest.

I definitely know the struggle with finding that unmodded 6MT 135i. Its very hard to find locally. I'm glad you found a good clean ride.

Since you're new to the community, a few things to research are:

High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) - was it replaced under warranty?
Spark plugs - have they been replaced?
Carbon Cleaning (Walnut shell blasting) - was it done?

Quote:
2. It's no big deal to take the tint off, just a 5 minute job and back to stock. I am going to try to attempt a spray tint version of the shadowline lights and if it's hideous, I'll just remove the tint entirely. No harm no foul, I just wanted to see how it would look.
Nice. Can't hurt to check it out. In my opinion, try to find the black window trim, that might enhance the look of the black tail lights. Just a suggestion I guess

Quote:
So you open up the lights and paint the inside? What is the process of opening them and does it look pretty good? Do you have pictures of a set already done? I'm not dying to switch out the lights, I was just home sick with an old bottle of spray tint I found while cleaning up.

Thank you, the drop definitely helps transform the car.
Exactly. The lights have to be cut open with a dremel. It sounds scary but its actually not too bad. When I upgrade to LCI tails i'll try it on my old ones and do a write-up. You essentially cut around the outside in the backing of the tail light. Seal with seam sealer.

Congrats on the ride and welcome to the club
Appreciate 0