View Single Post
      03-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

PSA - It is possible to fit a LHD shift boot to a RHD frame.

For anyone wondering, you CAN fit a LHD shift boot to a RHD frame. When I bought my car, it had this hideous eBay shift boot in it that the previous owner fitted. It was grey alcantara with some really ugly M stitching. The boot was starting to lift away from the frame and the stitching was coming undone.

I really wanted the genuine BMW Performance shift boot to go with my BMW Performance knob. After searching for almost a year for a RHD Performance shift boot to come up for sale, I gave up. So I bit the bullet and bought one for LHD hoping that I would be able to remove it from the LHD frame and remount it onto my original RHD frame. It took a little bit of wrestling with some pliers but I was able to get it on there.

The most difficult part was the bottom tip of the triangular frame where the LHD boot is just a little too short to stretch over it. The rest was fine. Also because of the LHD pattern of the boot, there is a little bit of excess material along the right edge of the frame but it's hidden when the frame is mounted back into the console.

So anyone who is wanting a BMW Performance shift boot, if you can't find a RHD one, don't worry.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50