champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
Glad you liked this article

I was not sure there was the public for a 1M review in French on 1addicts.

I found it very well written, with humorous references (in French we call it "clin d'oeil" but i don't know how to translate it...) to the lockdown & this complicated period to say the least.
Wink of an eye. I think this expression has more than one meaning, however, like a lot of French expressions :-)

"oeil" means "eye," however the pleural of eye (eyes) is very irregular, "yeux."

Perhaps the more familiar expression using "oeil" is "trompe-l'oeil," which would mean literally "fooling the eye," and basically means an "illusion," as in a thing appearing to be something that it is not. This is a term which appears also in English, in the realm of art appreciation, applied to a style of painting that "fools the eye," e.g. looking to be something that it is not.

I have seen a 1M in France, once, 3 or 4 years ago. It was a white one and in Tournus (southern Burgundy, just north of Macon) on the street opposite the Saone River docks. I went to look at it however it was obvious that the owner was nearby and when he saw me walking towards the car he went towards it hurriedly, so I backed off and just saw him drive off. I think he was afraid that someone had noticed his 1M and he didn't want to take any chances.

Last edited by champignon; 11-02-2020 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0