captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
I'm a fan of run flats as well. They are safer and weigh less (including spare delete). The ride is firm, but I'm kinda used to that kind of ride.

Personally, I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people that think they hate them wouldn't know the difference on regular roads without knowing that they were running run flats vs regular tires.

Nobody argues that run flats make bad track tires, but most guys I know have track specific tires anyway.
The ride quality of the RFTs is very dependent on the quality of the roads they are driven on. They are very bad at handling bad road surfaces and on bumpy curves they are just plain scary as the bounce around so much that the contact patches loose contact with the road surface and the rear end want to step out. I have named this phenomenon CTO (Crappy Tire Oversteer)

Drive both RFTs and non-RFTS in NYC and the difference in ride quality is very obvious to both the driver and the passengers.

When I bought the 335i I had never been on a BMW Forum and had no idea that the RFTs were controversial. I purchased the car in Palm Beach and had no issue with the RFTs in 2,000 miles of driving in South Florida.

After a month I shipped the car to NYC. It was unbearable. I was so bummed out that I decided to sell the car in spite of the fact that it was less than 2 months old. I discovered this forum, expressed my concerns and someone here suggested I get rid of the RFTs. I got rid of them and never looked back.

RFTS are a good idea but they are not ready for Prime Time.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - American Mural Project - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England