View Single Post
      09-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
guslealisla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I MSport Vert

First Post N55 engine failure after OFHG replacement

I had my oil filter housing gaskets replaced at bimmers only in dallas. I just bought this car the month prior and wanted to do the maintenance on it fast. We also did the oil pan gasket.

1 mile from picking up the car it stalled at a stop sign and wouldnt turn on.
It was also running catless downpipe and jb4 map 2 but I was not hooning it, i was just taking it home.

The shop after 3 weeks so far can tell its not cam related. they can manually crank the engine but it gets stiff in one section during 1 full rotation.

They have not given me a quote for the repair yet but i'm anticipating that its a spun rod and will need a bottom end rebuild. They said initially that you never know when that will happen with an engine but they test drove it fine.

I am looking for some advice on how to handle the situation moving forward once I get the quote.

I understand that some N55s have failed for the same reason and the cause is oil starvation for not building up enough oil pressure after the install. I don't really have a way to prove that it is their fault. I don't really know what to do...

BAD update:1-9-2020

I sent the engine to be rebuilt by ghassan auto in OK. It took about 8 months for the shop to pull the engine, then send it, then have it rebuilt then get it back in. 150 miles into the engine break it it started knocking. I took it to the shop and it seized while we were there...

I ended up shipping the whole car to the engine builder. I should have probably done that the first time. Ghassan the engine builder claimed injector failure dumped gas into the oil and reduced its viscosity and it seized because of that.
Claim: Not his fault... it needed new motor, new injectors, new starter, new battery.

another $6,000...

the car arrived 6 months later (he said it would take 2). It arrived with a broken front bumper, missing toe hitch, lug nut bar, entire undertray plastics, and bumper covers. Gauge cluster was not functioning. Also it has a boost leak. It had mismatching spark plugs and the coils went in a couple hundred miles.

He said he was going to look into it and never got back to me.

Luckily I left Dallas and moved back to phoenix where i'm from and I have a shop that I trust and we have been getting the car dialed in.

I may have the worst luck on this forum. I bought the car for $13,500 and now have just over $20,000 in repairs in under 2 years and less than 4K miles driven since I bought it.

I'm so upside down on this car that I am never going to sell it.

Last edited by guslealisla; 01-09-2020 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 1