01-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #23
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSK7 View Post
Yeah I agree that if I buy used then it is more failure prone, that is why I am hesitating.
The transmission is completely shot which is why I feel like I am willing to risk it with a used trans
bmw GEARBOXES are usually quite robust. Absolutely go with used. Heck.. the used transmission might have been babied more than yours.

for a vehicle this young, if you can find a company that will back their used part with a warranty of at least 90 days... it may cost you more but will cover a replacement and potentially your labor costs if the trans you get is junk.

I replaced the transmission on my daughters E46. I bought it from a yard with a warranty and found a shop that would install it. I was going to do the job myself but the convertible bracing under the car was obnoxious. The first one was junk. I had to have them remove it and install another one. The used transmission made it 30K miles with no issue til I sold the car when it got to 237K miles. I sold it to a repair shop that decided to make it a loan car. It lived another 3 weeks and the motor went kaput. I sold at just the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSK7 View Post
what are your thoughts on purchasing a used gearbox from LKQ? I am a bit hesitant but they are much cheaper.
LKQ is a decent company. Just tell them you want some sort of warranty. If they aren't willing to warranty it.. I would check out another vendor.
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00