Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I've driven 2 993s a C2 and a C4. Didn't particularly like either of them. In fact I much preferred the 964 i drove.

These are some of the most overhyped cars ever; which is why their prices are dropping these days as people finally realize it was hype over substance. These were from a time when Porsche was nearly going bankrupt...they didn't put too much emotion into the 993. The Boxster came after and saved their ass from death.
The 993 was the car that nearly bankrupted Porsche. They spent a ton of money developing the car, namely the multi link rear suspension. The rear end settled down the twitchy nature of the older torsion bar cars. Those old cars are a ton of fun but for most people they aren't going to make good daily drivers. Too slow, too old, too hot, etc. I would agree that the 964 is a bit of a sweet spot but those cars are going for silly money.

Porsche cut costs big time with the 996 and boxster and that helped start digging them out of that hole but it was really the Cayenne and later the panamera that saved their ass. Both the boxster and 996 drive beautifully but the cost cutting does show in the interiors of those cars.

I am biased obviously but I don't agree that these are over hyped. Good mix of old and new, last of the air cooled cars. I don't follow pricing very closely but I see no evidence of the bottom falling out on the 993 market. I think some dreamer dealers are bringing their prices down but actual sales show a consistent market. I won't be selling mine anytime soon, too busy driving it.
The 996 had waaaay more development costs than the 993. It was not only an all new car but an all new philosophy.