View Single Post
      01-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #57
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Interesting.
As much as I think it would be cool to have an M1 made, and these pics and video look to be a special 1 series, it seems odd that BMW would make an M1 considering the 4.0 V8 is going to be a short lived M engine.

Further, in those spy shots of the car on the road, it looks like the car has an intercooler in the lower front grill, same spot the 135i has. You can see what looks like silver deep inside the lower fascia opening.
That would not indicate a V8 in there.

I'd be interested to know how BMW is going to get the near 50/50 weight distribution in the 1 series with the 4.0 V8 engine in there too.
The 135i is already more front heavy than the 335i, and I'd have to imagine there was a bit more room in the 3 series front end to put the 4.0 V8 in there and move it aft a bit to keep close to a 50/50 weight distribution.

The video of the car blasting around that frozen lake sort of sounds like the V8 though, but it's hard to tell from that far out.

Isn't the new TT 6 M3 scheduled for 2013?
Would seem weird to make an M1 with the V8 for only 2-3 years.

But again, if they do and it's priced at low $50's to start, that would be a pretty sweet ride.
Any chance that test mule car is a 135is with a beefed up N54 engine and some M wheels/brakes/exhaust?
Appreciate 0