01-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #110
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

OEM fire extinguisher mount with SupercheapAuto 1KG fire extingisher

RHD fire extinguisher mount (mounts on left side passenger seat): 52100413022

This is a great little mount that is mounted to the passenger seat for a fire extinguisher. I wanted to prepare the car in case I ever need to do CAMs sanctioned track events.

The mounting holes on the seats are not threaded, so you have to use the tapered black screws to form a thread. I found this system to be rubbish and 3 of the six holes were very easily stripped out . I will just ream out the holes and install some rivnuts instead, which will be much more secure and reliable. You have to be careful though, if you install long bolts for the fire extinguisher mount it will actually prevent the front knee support from extending. The extinguisher mount is designed for M6 screws but I will be using M5 rivnuts, which will be short enough not to prevent the knee support from moving.

Bought one of these to do the rivnut, arrived very quickly and nuts are included:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182412148...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Overall the extinguisher mount is good apart from the mounting screws, I have seen the KAPP mount which allows the whole assembly to rattle and flex, whereas this mount is very secure. I am thinking it might be a nifty place to store a large drink bottle, you could buy the drivers side mount as well for that purpose.

Mounting the SCA fire extinguisher was pretty easy. The holes don't line up but the mounting hole can be easily shifted to line up with the mount. Just need to tap the mounting hole with a hammer and it is easily shifted across. Could also touch up the exposed paint with some red if you were really anal.

The handle of the extinguisher can rattle over sharp bumps, this is easily fixed with a rubber band
Attached Images