View Single Post
      07-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
Umm, think again, the turbo engines pull all the way to redline, your V8 is good for off the line grunt, and falls at speed. You have it twisted man. Thats all that the NA V8 is for, low end grunt.

Turbos are top end heaven.
No Daniel, traditional turbo's, few of them these days, were high rpm torque/hp. Modern turbo's like our N54/N55 are designed with market likes and demands for better MPG along with lower rpm torque.
That is what the N54/N55, and Audi's 2.0T deliver.
Their power band is more akin to a diesel where there is a big spike in low rpm torque, but it's levels goes for a bit and drops like a stone.

We can still rev our engines to or near red line to extract best acceleration, but that is mainly due to gearing to you back into the meat of the power.

Older NA engines were big low rpm torque monsters that also suffered a somewhat short powerband. A high rev NA engine such as what's in the current M3 are more in line with what is better for high speed performance driving where you can really take advantage of high rpm and gearing.
The M3's relative low torque is quickly forgotten once the smooth as butter machine starts to shriek with mechanical delight.
At higher speed the M3 will easily dust off a 135i, and don't even attempt to hang with it in the twists.

Our 135i is comparable to the former E46 based M3, which is still a better handler. But, that's an "old" M3 now as the current one exceeds the formers prowess. I hope that if BMW goes with a turbo/s in the new M3, they will tune it like a turbo should be, but with modern engine controls to expand the torque band to retain that high rpm goodness.
A sequential turbo setup would be a much better choice in an M3 turbo, as long as the electronics are done properly to maintain a smooth throttle.
Also, a dual twin scroll might do it even better, just tune it so that it can still breathe at high rpm. I'm sure with the right intake plumbing and a large IC it can be done.

I wonder though, with all the positive press the new V8 Mustang GT is getting, BMW might rethink putting turbo's on the new M.
Sure, they have to meet EPA, but they've got Mini to help with that and the larger selling 128/328i that can return decent MPG.
Appreciate 0