View Single Post
      08-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Our 135i is comparable to the former E46 based M3, which is still a better handler. But, that's an "old" M3 now as the current one exceeds the formers prowess. I hope that if BMW goes with a turbo/s in the new M3, they will tune it like a turbo should be, but with modern engine controls to expand the torque band to retain that high rpm goodness.
A sequential turbo setup would be a much better choice in an M3 turbo, as long as the electronics are done properly to maintain a smooth throttle.
Also, a dual twin scroll might do it even better, just tune it so that it can still breathe at high rpm. I'm sure with the right intake plumbing and a large IC it can be done.

I wonder though, with all the positive press the new V8 Mustang GT is getting, BMW might rethink putting turbo's on the new M.
Sure, they have to meet EPA, but they've got Mini to help with that and the larger selling 128/328i that can return decent MPG.
Would be nice if the M models got rid of all the lux items, and let the "IS" models be what the M models are now. The M models would be hardcore, like 911 GT3 hardcore or CLK Black Series hardcore. Instead of "M" meaning "Motorsports", let it be know as "Mother####". And we know M can do that, but Marketing (yes Scott, that means you) won't allow it. Imagine a 385 hp, light weight 1M (around 3200 or less), 0-60 4.3 secs, man, you'd have me marrying the car.
Appreciate 0