View Single Post
      12-09-2017, 12:30 AM   #79
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I'm still curious as to how people think 336lb (300% stiffer than stock) isn't stiff. With 336lb (6k) and NO front sway I don't bottom out my front struts... in fact, If I go any stiffer the car understeers because of being tire limited up front... maybe ride heights are playing into this for people? Rake? Damping not adjusted correctly? If I run my coilovers on full soft it feels like a sloppy rolly mess too lol... Or maybe people are just feeling the REAR of the car rolling... To each their own I guess.

I do plan on putting the front sway back in. As is, the car is not soft at all. It's almost nauseating on the street on long drives. Now that I am on rcomps I might go a bit stiffer too, but I'll probably do that with e93 M3 sways for a modest 10% bump.

A 7inch Swift spring should not bind at anything over 6k 336lb/in. I did have that issue with a 4k spring though... And I did hit bump stops with the 4k. The softer spring had more coils. Swift provides a chart with all this info on their website...
A lot of this information isn't really correct. For example, the firmer spring has more coils, which is why it has less usable stroke (travel before coilbinding).

http://www.swiftsprings.com/products...lover-springs/

Your car may never hit the bump stops but that doesn't indicate anything about your spring rates being ideal. You could have far too much bump travel and not enough droop, or far too high of a ride height, or a dozen other things.

Springs and bars are also useful for speed of weight transfer and that's why I am going up in spring rate - the car is far too slow to transfer weight in transient events.

-Mark