06-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #141
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Fact is: the CSL will still be a legend, no matter how much faster any other car will ever be able to go anywhere. Comparing a CSL against a 1M is as pointless as comparing a "Ravaglia" (e30) or an M3 GT (e36) against a 1M. Those cars all set the standard at the time they were released. Comparing any one of them to a modern car is pointless and doesn't do them justice. Nobody in their right mind would compare a 1M with a GTS and that is how far away those cars were from anything else in the BMW product range at that time.

It doesn't really surprise me, that TG review the 1M as they did. And the laptime? Different driver, no true comparison possible. To me, the review is great entertainment... no more, no less. And the run-off? Look at the way the current Stig always uses every last bit of the black stuff... I am sure, that he has had many more run-offs and this is just one they showed. To me no big deal... if you push a car to the limit, you'll overcook it sooner or later. And that's what happened.
+1
The other comparison between the 1M and the M3 is pointless as well, IMO. The M3 is coming up on 4 years of age. The 1M is brand new. Some people forget that things change (technology, performance etc) in the automotive industry in 2-3 years time...
Appreciate 0