DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Cool Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You know guys... I change the oil in my lawn mover(every year, plus I use a syntheic!) and I don't love that "machine" like I do my 1er.

Oil changes are cheap-er than engines. Its best to use a quality oil and filter and change it often. I think most of "us" know this.

6.9 quarts or 6.5 liters when changing the oil filter - both for the 128i and 135i models.
Well the last time I changed the oil in my lawn mower was five years ago, and it is still running fine.

In general, the comments about service intervals really have no basis in facts and are no more than opinions. The best an owner can do is follow the schedules laid down by the mfg.

One might also consider that some of the expensive repairs will have nothing to do with maintenance like VANOS bolts, water pumps, and numerous other items.

Most Americans seem anal about changing engine oil, and it is well documented that spark plugs do last 60K miles. Regarding brake fluid, there are test kits that check it for moisture. Mine always check OK. Changing the differential oil is cheap and probably be done every 50K miles. I remember Redline recommending that number. Modern engine coolants are good for over a 100K long past the ownership of the car.

The only real question is an interval to change the oil in an automatic, the most common transmission in a BMW and most other cars. I have a DCT which is basically a box of gears run by a computer. It may not be a big deal to do an oil change? However, replacing the clutches may require a mortgage on the house!
Appreciate 0