View Single Post
      11-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Bad gas isn't going to ruin anything unless:
1. You were pinging heavily due to boost or timing.
2. Somehow the gas had so much debris in it, it clogged the 'sock' which is usually attached to the intake of the in-tank pump

Before you do anything, I would do the following:

1. Throw in a few bottles of drygas, since the gas is probably just got some water in it.

2. If that didn't work, you could also empty the gas out of the tank. Easier said than done, but typically people short the fuel pump relay (turning the pump on) and disconnect the fuel line from the pump and essentially use the pump to pump out the bad gas. Note, you do NOT want to run the pump dry (It can kill the pump) so you can't get it all out, but you can certainly get most of it out that way. You probably cannot siphon it out because most new systems have anti-siphon valves.

I haven't driven my car in almost two weeks and let it sit in my garage with about 3/8 of a tank. Not normally a problem where I live because it doesn't get too cold, but today it did idle like crap. I promptly filled the tank with Chevron (My normal fuel of choice) and it hasn't given me any more problems. Remember cold temps + low fuel levels = condensation.

good luck!