nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Just doing a poll I am curious.

Or does the 1M Coupe not even have OFHG (oil filter housing gasket) issues?
I believe it's still an issue on 1M. Just most 1Ms aren't driven that much. I don't believe changing the oil gasket can seize an engine. There are only two scenarios I can imagine that would cause that:

1. The wrong gasket was used or incorrectly placed. I have seen heard of people using a close but incorrect gasket that is missing a hole or is
Significantly smaller and it reduces or
Stops oil flow after the repair so the engine starved for oil. Recently some Ford ST engine problems were attributed to an incorrect head gasket that was missing some coolant ports for example. This was done at the factory even. The gaskets are so close they didn't notice.

2. Gasket material, screw or other foreign object like a screw or washer fell into a port and blocked or broke something.

These are the only two scenarios that I can think of for this repair to cause an engine to cease.

A final scenario is that the leak was so bad that the car was run low on oil for a long time. Finally someone got around to fixing the leak but it was too late and the engine seized shortly after the repair. So it would seem that the repair caused it but not really. I saw this happen with a lady that had a leaky radiator for months and she would run the car when coolant would run out. Finally she got money to replace the radiator but shortly thereafter the head gasket went and she blamed the shop for the radiator repair. But the hadnhad already warped and was ready to go.

Did this happen to you? You replaced the gasket and motor seized?
Appreciate 0