View Single Post
      10-15-2016, 01:38 AM   #1
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Clutch Masters Clutch/SMFW Problems

I recently purchased a single mass aluminum flywheel and fx350 clutch kit for my 1M at clutch masters reccomendation after explaining to them my needs. I wanted a stiffer pedal, but minimal chatter. They reccomended 03075-HDFF-D clutch and FW075-AL flywheel.

This whole experience has been an absolute nightmare product wise and customer service wise. The first problem came, when the torque plate for the flywheel (a steel plate as to not marr the aluminum when tq-ing the bolts down) came undersized and the ID of it wouldnt slip over the raised portion of the flywheel. Calling clutch masters, they offered to send the correct one, but ground shipping. Or a second option was to take it to a machine shop...As I had already reserved a lift to do the job, I asked them if they could overnight it in an envelope, (14 bucks max). Thier response was they dont have the ability to send overnight letters. Ok... to the machine shop we go.

While doing the clutch, I find the flywheel ID where it is supposed to be on the crankshaft is too small. Since its Saturday, and my car is stuck, apart on the lift, I head back to the machine shop for an emergency session.

Everything turns out perfect, I put the car back together, and go for a drive. Wait, why is the pedal lighter than stock? This clutch slips like normal until it heats up then grabs hard. Lots of driveline chatter..... I call clutch masters and ask why its a softer pedal and why so much chatter? They stress relieve the pressure plate for LESS clamping force and put an aggressive grabby disc in there. EXACTLY WHAT I SAID I DIDN'T WANT.

.....now....When it heats up, I find its having a hard time going into 1st gear and reverse. Great, I start to suspect the release bearing. There are 2 positions for it on the fork, high and low. When asking clutch masters which to go with eariler, thier response was to put it on the same was BMW had it..... in this case the low position. Theoretically, putting it on the high position should give the fork a little more ways to push the release bearing. So tonight, I took everything apart again and swapped the release bearing position to the high setting. No change, clutch is still not fully releasing. Yes I blead the clutch, yes the pivot pin in new (bronze).

Clutch masters was unwilling to compinsate me for the machine work I had to do to make the flywheel fit, and were basically real jerks about it. Lets not mention the spec is obviously off and the disc or flywheel plate is too thick causing the disc to still be engaged. I will never reccomended clutch masters to anyone. Not only did they intentionally sell me a type of product I expressly said I didn't want, but were unwilling to fix any of the technical problems with thier products.

Last edited by hot-j; 10-15-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0