View Single Post
      08-15-2015, 12:17 AM   #39
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
To the points above: it's not that I need a true "winter tire" for snow conditions or anything like that, but the city I will be moving to in the PNW sees lows in the 30's and 40's ten months out of the year, so I just don't think a dedicated summer tire is the best choice for year-round use.

Also, wet traction is not my concern, but it's just a fact that the RE-71R's are not going to be a good tire in freezing temps, despite the fact that winters will be mild in comparison to many other locales. Many of the high performance all-season tires are rated for light winter use, so I think it may be smart to have a "jack-of-all trades" tire on hand.

It's also a way to preserve tread life in a fast-wearing 200 TW tire, and save the RE-71R's for what they were meant for (real performance driving), while using a practical daily drive tire on the street.

And, let's be honest, it's also a way to rock a second set of wheels on a more cosmetic basis (although I do think the Satin Black 17" ARC-8's with RE-71R's look pretty darn good, too).