vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Hello all,

Did this installation over the weekend. I used some of the tools vtl has described and found the following:

1. Having to small trolley jack would make it alot simpler. I used a trolley, scissor jack and blocks of wood.
2. To remove the fronts was easy by just placing a large socket between the body and the bush, jack up the sub frame or lower the body and add heat. Pretty well takes about a half hour for each to squeeze out. I used a paint stripper gun. Just be careful as these are close to the petrol tank. One just about fell out and looked a little the worst for wear after 61k.
3. The backs were harder. I made up a extractor with the plastic 100mm plumbing fitting, threaded stainless rod I had sitting around, 1/4", 2 very stout washers, one for the top and one for the bottom and a block made from 10mm ply. I soaked the bush in CRC before starting and needed to add heat to help it out. Finla extraction was by wriggling it with a right angle socket bar.

The whole change took 10 hours but that is mainly because I am not very skilled, making the tools as I went, sitting around contemplating things and 2 trolley jacks would be massively helpful.

I will do a bit of a review of the results in a few weeks as I have gone through a series of steps and leaving for a few weeks including pins, square rims with 245 and 255 RFTs and final step come adjustable front control arms.

One thing I can say is that at 80kms on a freeway roundabout there is lots of grip, not much roll and still a bit of steering load and a bit of understeer. Slow right angle corners and the tail can be kicked out easy, lots of turn in and throttle oversteer. Car now steers light and without nervousness and the rear follows terrain rather than floats over it.
Wow 10 hours! Good work for sticking with the job, I'm guessing there was a lot of cursing and yelling along the way