View Single Post
      08-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #54
Muppet
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
Muppet how do you find the harshness over large bumps, road expansion joints, train-tracks etc? Your tailbone is intact? I gather you're on non runflat tyres?
I am using run flats, 245x35 and 255x35. I quite like them due to the stiff sidewalls giving more control and quick turn in and you can get lots of hardly used tyres for cheap.

I am surprised the little if any change in NVH. Ran over a piece of 3x1.5 yesterday and no real increase in slamming. Today I tried running into pot holes to see if the first impression was correct and happy to report no change in opinion. I have and intend to keep the standard springs and shocks as I feel they are a reasonable set up. Car no longer floats over uneven surfaces and now moves with the road surface. As a result can see no reason the upgrade the rear any further.

Some years ago I was advised to do a similar change to urethane engine mounts rather than soft rubber on a course diesel in a yacht as they stated that the shake was worse for NVH. Proved to be correct and got rid of a drive shaft shake.

After looking at the mounts taken out I cannot see how they properly hold the sub frame in place and in fact may contribute to some of the NVH from run flats. One thing that is noticeable is the absence of elasticity when kicking the rear out. It is now very linear.
Appreciate 0