View Single Post
      05-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillcutts View Post
Your logic absolutely confounds me. If you want to talk about being "UPFRONT" & "fair and reasonable" ", why not then have the dealer just reveal his true cost to me (not MSRP) and negotiate from there?!

Do you have any idea the profit that is buried into these cars for these guys? And the years of profit on servicing a loyal,happy customer's car?

And Again...no one forced the Dealer to agree to VISA's terms....that was their business decision....and has NOTHING to do with me. They can go cry to VISA if they want!

So I guess you payed full price so as not to be accused of being "Unethical" in your dealings with your dealer.
Please! Gimme a break guys................
The purchase price is irrelevant, whether it was MSRP, invoice, or something in-between. Why? Because you mutually agreed on it. No surprises. The only surprise in your scenario is that the dealer is making $800 less on the deal than they thought they were because you want get an additional $1700 back in credit card rewards. Given that virtually no one attempts to pay for a $40k car with a credit card, it's reasonable to assume that the dealer negotiated your deal with the assumption that you'd be paying via cash or traditional financing.

My point is that this type of activity is why people usually hate car dealers in the first place. Unexpected charges after a deal has been agreed upon. I personally hate when people do it to me, therefore I wouldn't do it to someone else. Your justifications about how much the dealer is making are irrelevant. You're changing the terms of the deal in a way that most any reasonable person would find objectionable.

My comment about it being unethical boils down to this: you would object (strenuously, I'd wager) if the dealer attempted to add $800 to your cost for the vehicle after you'd agreed to a price. It all comes down to the Golden Rule, and in this scenario, I don't believe you'd accept an additional $800 charge if the situation were reversed, regardless of the fine print.
Appreciate 0